Fees Free is an initiative from the New Zealand government offering eligible learners fees-free funding for their first year of tertiary education for provider-based study or two years for industry training.
We highly recommend subscribing to the Fees Free Newsletter so you can receive updates and tips to help you make implementing fees-free easier for you and your Learner.
For more information see feesfree.gov.nz
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for fees-free payments, an eligible Learner must be enrolled in an eligible course OR in an eligible industry training programme.
To learn more about eligibility criteria see TEC.gov.nz
How to Identify if a Learner could be eligible?
TEC is responsible for determining if a learner is eligible however, TEO’s will need to check eligibility.
There are 3 ways to check this:
- Via Workspace 2
- Individually looking up via NSN numbers by going to www.feesfree.govt.nz
- For large volumes of NSNs, email in a CSV file to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Use report 2100 to generate the required information. How to generate a report
- Make sure you Generate Report and then Export to CSV
- Eligibility results will be sent back to you the next TEC business day
For instructions and guidelines on each option please see NSN for fees-free eligibility
How to record Fees Free eligibility and status in Wisenet?
The TEC is continually changing their specifications for the Fees Free initiative. You can find more information here: https://www.feesfree.govt.nz/information/
2019 SDR changes require the fields Fees Free Eligible and Fees Free Total to be reported. These fields have been added into Wisenet to be ready for 2019 SDR reporting.
The 3 new fields are in the Learner > Personal section:
- Fees Free Eligible
- Total Fees 2019
- Total Fees 2018
There is a new Bulk Update Learners feature in Course Offer > Enrolments section to set these values.
Fees Free Monthly Data Return
The TEC has updated Workspace 2 to outline the reporting requirements. The core reporting is for FeesFree Learners, their Qualification, Courses, Course Fees and other Student Services Fees. The TEC document upload template is here:
- Fees Free Data Upload Template – Accurate as of March 2019. You can obtain this from Workspace 2.
Wisenet is able to report all data except the Student Services Fees. We are working through requirements to determine the best way to implement this.
In the meantime we have built a report that lets you extract the Learner and Course Enrolment data to help simplify the reporting process. Use the following steps:
- Run Report 2117 by first Generate Report and then once in preview mode Export to Excel
- This report is designed to auto filter only Learners with FeesFree Eligible = Y or U
- It will also only include Unit Enrolments with a Start Date on or after 01/01/2019
- Once the Excel file opens, copy the data from the report and paste into the Template from TEC (see above for template)
- You can then tweak the data as necessary
- Add any Compulsory Service Fees if you have any for each Learner
- Once the data looks correct it should be ready to upload to TEC
Furthermore please see table below with field mapping for Fees Free export: