An initiative from the New Zealand government offering eligible learners fees-free funding for their first year of tertiary education from 1 January 2018.
For more information see feesfree.gov.nz
How to Identify if a Learner could be eligible?
TEC is responsible for determining if a learner is eligible however, TEO’s will need to check eligibility.
There are 3 ways to check this:
- Workspace 2
- Send in a CSV file
- Use report 2100 to generate the required information. How to generate a report
- Make sure you Generate Report and then Export to CSV
- Individually looking up via NSN numbers
For instructions and guidelines on each option please see NSN for fees-free eligibility
How to record Fees Free eligibility and status in Wisenet?
The TEC is in the process of defining clear specifications for the Fees Free initiative. Recent SDR change announcements are being processed and we will be adding new fields soon (Likely a FeesFree Eligible field at the Learner and new Tags at CourseEnrolment).
Until this is available Wisenet will not be adding new fields to prevent causing confusion and having to remove unnecessary fields in the future. In the meantime you can use some of the existing fields.
As FeesFree is related to the Learner it is best to enter information at the Learner level. For now we recommend to use the Special Requirements or General Notes field in the Edit Personal Details section. This will then show on the Profile page.
You can enter:
- FeesFree status of your choice (ineligible, eligible)
- Credits consumed
- Or anything else that you would like to enter
What Additional Reporting Requirements are there?
The TEC has updated Workspace 2 to outline the reporting requirements. The core reporting is for FeesFree Learners their Qualification, Courses, Course Fees and other Student Services Fees. The TEC documents are here:
- FeesFree Data Return Requirements
- Fees Free Data Upload Template – Obtain the real template from Workspace 2
Wisenet is able to report all data except the Student Services Fees. We are working through requirements to determine the best way to implement this.
In the meantime we have built a report that lets you extract the Learner and Course data to help simplify the reporting process. Use the following steps:
- Run Report 2117
- Copy the data from the report into the Template from TEC
- It should look something like link above where you can copy the data into the working sheet
- You can then tweak the data as necessary
- Set the FeesFreeEligible value for each Learner
- Add any Compulsory Service Fees if you have any for each Learner
- Once the data looks correct it should be ready to upload to TEC
How will TEOs be paid?
TEC will send out further communication over the next few weeks explaining this.